10 things you need to learn before moving to Yucatan
1. Here it is always summer, heat is a constant and you should know your wardrobe.
2. If a Yucatecan friend says “Lets take two ” (beers) you might think it’s just a relaxing moment after work and nothing else, but the truth is that in Yucatan these 2 become 4 and then 6 and so on.
3. Never use sandals with socks… we know it is hot weather here but really …do not.
4. Sooner or later you will need a air conditioning. Sure, the first few days of December the temperature feels good, but be sure, you would remember our advice in May.
5. If someone asks you to “acechar” (lie in wait) in a place, do not worry is not an mission impossible, just want you to take a look.
6. The green one is always hot … 90% of green sauces in restaurants are made with pure chile habanero, usually without another ingredient that the “Mayan fire”.
7. The first few times it will be confusing but “prestar” (to loan) is a verb that you must master, the meaning is different from what you think.
“Do you remember those two hundred pesos I lent you – Take it back”
8. Our winter is up to 20 degrees, but we have high humidity that gets into your clothes, so get ready for “La Heladez”.
9. We have colors that no designer or artist out of Yucatan could understand: “Blue Peacock” is like the navy blue but stronger … do you understand?
10. Here we do not like “Hoch’obes” I mean those who come home for lunch uninvited.